Monday, November 07, 2005

The sorry state of mobile phones: An analogy

Mobile phones, as they exist today, are like a "Personal Computer" before the internet was invented (it has one extra feature that I'll talk about). It reminds me of my first PC - a 386 on which drawing something in paint to playing with Lotus, WS, Dbase, Solitaire, Mario... was as much fun as I could get out of my computer . And then came the internet which made it way way usable and a part of my life. Now, when I get up in the morning I open my laptop to check new mails and news before I barely open up my eyes. Would I have done that on my 386. Never !

Now what's the extra feature on mobiles that makes it better than my analogy of personal computer is that it has lets call it "Google Talk" - i.e. an ability for me to send/recieve voice calls or text messages to people (90% of which are in my buddy list). If "Google Talk" was the only flavour of connectivity and communication I could taste on my PC and you expect me to be satisfied with that, hell you are way wrong. Where's the thing that would motivate me to check my mobile every 5 minutes to see if there's something new?? Where's the thing that I need to see before I could open my eyes in the morning. If my PC can produce such an effect, I can guarantee that if such a thing existed on mobile it could have atleast a 5X effect than my PC, just because that's the only thing I carry with me all the time.

No matter how good the "Google Talk" is, I want to expand the sphere of my mobile communication from just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home